• 2014 Legend will be distributed Aug. 4-5. Watch your mail for a postcard with details. May 23, 2014

• Follow us on Twitter! @LHSImage December 10, 2013

Confession: Rockwood Confessions is worse than Mean Girls ‘Burn Book’

Grace Bueckendorf, Editor in Chief
May 5, 2013
Filed under Blog, Opinions

This weekend, I expected Twitter to be littered with AP memes, Cinco de Mayo jokes and the like. What I didn't expect was the deepest secrets, some more true than others, I'm sure, splattered all across my Twitter feed. Everything you would ever want to know about the personal lives of Rockwood's... Read more »

Hot Links: 5 websites for a healthier lifestyle

Grace Bueckendorf, Editor in Chief
March 1, 2013
Filed under Features, Hot Links

Whether you are simply getting ready for the summer, or trying to turn a complete 180 on your eating and exercise habits, we could all use a little advice and help when turning towards a healthier lifestyle.  Look no further; lhsimage.com selects five websites meant to direct you away from... Read more »

Westboro Baptist Church within their rights, like it or not

Grace Bueckendorf, Editor in Chief
December 18, 2012
Filed under Blog, Opinions

The United States was built upon the notion that everyone should have the right to speak their mind, regardless of what consequences might come with that.  But, with those rights comes the responsibility to, as a good citizen, know what is and is not appropriate to voice. If we limited the speech... Read more »

Hot Link: Seven sites for studying, one per class

Grace Bueckendorf, Editor in chief
December 13, 2012
Filed under Features

If you’re having trouble with cramming for finals, look no further.  It can be tough to find a way to organize information, but The Image has compiled ten websites to ease the process. www.quizlet.com Quizlet is a helpful website which,... Read more »

Through These Halls: Crow looks towards college volleyball

Grace Bueckendorf, Editor in Chief
November 26, 2012
Filed under Features

For many seniors, the fall semester is filled with stress about college and college applications, but for senior Melanie Crow, this decision was made long ago.  Now, she only has to worry about signing the official commitment to Ole Miss, where she plans to play volleyball at the college level. While... Read more »

Taylor Swift changes her sound with Red

Grace Bueckendorf, Editor in Chief
November 17, 2012
Filed under Opinions, Reviews

When Taylor Swift first became popular, I was a skeptic.  She appeared to have little talent, relying too heavily on her hometown charm and blond curls.  But then I looked past her more popular songs, such as Teardrops On My Guitar and Our Song, and realized that her other songs were... Read more »

Boys cross country poised for trophy at State

Grace Bueckendorf, Editor in Chief
October 15, 2012
Filed under Sports

Going into the post season, the boys cross country team is looking very solid. The boys team, ranked fifth in the State by Big River Running, is certainly going to be gunning for the podium this November. Last week, at the Patriot Classic, they had three guys under 16 minutes— senior Derek Legenzoff... Read more »

Academic clubs sprout up around Lafayette

Grace Bueckendorf, Editor in Chief
October 15, 2012
Filed under News

While many extracurricular activities are athletic or arts-based, there have been many academic clubs sprouting up in the past few years. Including such activities as the AP Student Advisement Board, Chemistry Olympiad and the Left Bank Book Club, there are copious opportunities for students to complement... Read more »

Five Questions with Richard Esswein: From law to Latin

Grace Bueckendorf, Editor in Chief
August 29, 2012
Filed under Features

While most students think of Latin teacher Richard Esswein for the suits he wears or the Latin rhymes he teaches, teaching Latin is not something Esswein always did.  He had a previous career as an International tax attorney for the local corporation Monsanto.  While he liked both careers, he said... Read more »

Nationwide policy changes affect Rockwood lunches

Grace Bueckendorf
August 21, 2012
Filed under News, Top Stories

Recently, the district lunch policies changed in accordance with the National School Lunch program, affecting what qualified as a full "lunch" as far as pricing is concerned. The changes stem from the Healthy Hunger Free Kids Act of 2010, closely associated with Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move campaign,... Read more »

Schedule change DOs and DON’Ts of the new year

Grace Bueckendorf
August 10, 2012
Filed under News

With the summer coming to a close, and the new school year approaching rapidly, many students find they are unhappy with the schedules presented to them at orientation. However, it is important to remember what to do, and what not to do, before you make your appointment with the counselors. "We... Read more »

Lafayette’s new hires meet for lunch, training

Grace Bueckendorf
August 7, 2012
Filed under News, Top Stories

This school year, there will be more new faces than just the new Freshman Class.  There will be 17 new staff members, including 13 teachers, two secretaries, an ISS teacher and a classroom assistant. The new staff members seemed excited and nervous about the coming year, while mingling at the welcoming... Read more »

Students sport their Cardinals spirit for Opening Day

Grace Bueckendorf, Webmaster
April 4, 2012
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

Coming off of a World Series win for St. Louis last season, students are eager to show off their devotion to their team.  These students are hoping for a win on Opening Day, and aren't afraid to show it.  Look at these devoted fans!

Disregard library fine notices for textbooks

Grace Bueckendorf, Webmaster
February 7, 2012
Filed under Top Stories

Over the weekend, Lafayette students checked their email only to find costly library fine notices, many exceeding 100 dollars for the textbooks they are currently using. According to Nancy Hendricks, a librarian, there was a glitch in the system, and Destiny automatically sent out the notices. She... Read more »

MLB honors Freese’s story with video

MLB honors Freese’s story with video

Grace Bueckendorf, Webmaster
February 6, 2012
Filed under Top Stories

Many Lafayette students know that Freese's story begins at Lafayette, where he attended high school, but few know the specifics of how he became the 'home town hero' we know him as today. MLB posted a video on their site following Freese's story and how he ended up the World Series MVP and a Cardinal... Read more »

minUMENTAL art competion entries due Feb. 3

Grace Bueckendorf, Webmaster
January 25, 2012
Filed under News, Top Stories

For the third year in a row, the Art Department will be hosting the minUMENTAL art show, which will showcase pieces that are less than one inch squared or cubed. The competition is meant to complement the musical, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. Therefore, there... Read more »

Tabs on Twitter: Tweets target snowy morning

Grace Bueckendorf, Webmaster
January 12, 2012
Filed under Top Stories

Twitter news feeds clogged up this morning as a result of the clever thoughts of angry students who were forced to show up for school on Jan. 12 because it wasn't canceled. Read on for the best tweets of the morning: @turnthePAIGE06 The girls that still wear shorts and flip flops when theres... Read more »

10 of 13 Outstanding Alumni graduates of Lafayette

Grace Bueckendorf, Webmaster
January 9, 2012
Filed under Top Stories

An Alumni Hall of Fame has been formed by the Rockwood Schools Foundation in order to remember and celebrate the accomplishments of former students. The first initiates will be honored on Jan. 28.  The list of inductees is below.   Out of the over 40,000 students to graduate... Read more »

New emphasis on vocabulary to boost student test scores, promote reading

Grace Bueckendorf, Webmaster
December 14, 2011
Filed under News

For those who read the paper for the Dec. 9 issue, you may have noticed a new addition.  In each isssue for the rest of the year, Lafayette's efforts to improve literacy will take the form of an ad that includes some type of puzzle using 20 vocabulary words. The list of words were compiled by Test... Read more »

Final Exemption Forms due Dec. 6

Final Exemption Forms due Dec. 6

Grace Bueckendorf, Webmaster
December 5, 2011
Filed under News

Although the form reads that it is due on Dec. 1, junior secretary Mary Miller affirms that they are actually due on Dec. 6 because the announcements did not start until late last week. Some students did not know about it because they did not hear the announcements. Junior Alison Steele said, "I... Read more »

Art History students explore the St. Louis Art Museum

Grace Bueckendorf, Webmaster
November 2, 2011
Filed under News

In order to complement what they learned in the classroom, Thursday, Oct. 27, both hours of AP Art History headed off to Forest Park to go through the art they had already learned.  The first part of the field trip involved the reviewing what the students already knew about gothic cathedrals by... Read more »

Character education to recognize good behavior

Grace Bueckendorf, Webmaster
October 20, 2011
Filed under News

Responsibility.  That's what teachers will be on the lookout for the month of November. Each teacher will be able to nominate one student each month that embodies the character education word-of-the-month. For instance, a teacher, for the month of November, would choose one student out of all... Read more »

Syberg’s surprises with good food, positive atmosphere

Grace Bueckendorf, Webmaster
October 11, 2011
Filed under Opinions, Reviews

When it was decided upon that we were going to review Syberg’s, I was less than thrilled. All I could think of was fried fish and hush puppies, and that’s not my idea of good eating. However, the menu exceeded expectations.  I found a veggie burger, and so, of course I ordered that. After... Read more »

Cutting gifted program would hurt more than help

Grace Bueckendorf, Webmaster
October 6, 2011
Filed under Blog, Opinions

Dear Rockwood School District Board of Education, I know you are faced with a very difficult decision in the coming week.  In light of this decision, I have a few things I would like to say.  I understand that on the surveys, the most popular way of saving money was overwhelmingly to cut the Rockwood... Read more »

Lady Antebellum’s new album is sure to please

Grace Bueckendorf, Webmaster
September 27, 2011
Filed under Uncategorized

I’ve been a fan of Lady Antebellum ever since I bought their previous album Need You Now.  However, other than their Grammy© winning single, which the album was named after, there weren’t really any other amazing songs.  Their new album, Own the Night, showcases... Read more »

Drug dogs search lockers, parking lot

Drug dogs search lockers, parking lot

Grace Bueckendorf, Webmaster
September 15, 2011
Filed under Top Stories

This morning, Sept. 15, the drug dog made the second appearance in only a weeks' time.  "The minimum [amount a drug dog comes in] is twice a semester.  Once for the parking lots and once for the lockers," Officer Ollie Helbig said. "Our main goal is keeping the [drugs and alchohol] away from... Read more »

Library hours shortened this year

Library hours shortened this year

Grace Bueckendorf, Webmaster
September 1, 2011
Filed under Top Stories

Last year, students had the ability to work in the library after school. It was especially helpful for those who lack computer access at home, as they would use that time to complete all the computer homework at school. This year, however, all of that has changed.  Because of budget cuts, the library... Read more »

Restaurant in Review: Crazy Bowls and Wraps

Grace Bueckendorf, Webmaster
August 25, 2011
Filed under Opinions, Reviews

It’s common knowledge that pretty much everyone who goes to Lafayette has been to Bread Co. at least once.  It constitutes as a meeting place for study groups, a get-together with friends you haven’t seen in awhile and a perfect place for a quick lunch in the middle of the day. However, that... Read more »

Sparks fly at Taylor Swift Concert

Sparks fly at Taylor Swift Concert

Grace Bueckendorf, Webmaster
August 15, 2011
Filed under Opinions, Reviews

The much-awaited Speak Now World Tour finally came to St. Louis this weekend.  Having completely sold out, the Scottrade Center was filled to the brim with screaming fans awaiting the arrival of Taylor Swift to the stage. The wait, however, was entirely too  long.  The concert started at 7 p.m.... Read more »

Students with schedule problems should act soon

Grace Bueckendorf, Webmaster
August 9, 2011
Filed under News

Before the start of each school year, students receive their schedules at orientation. For many, it is an exciting time to see who they have classes with in the coming year. But some students realize they don't want to take a class they chose to take previously, or end up with a blank hour. For those... Read more »

Graduation CANCELLED due to inclement weather

Grace Bueckendorf, Webmaster
May 25, 2011
Filed under News, Top Stories

The Graduation Ceremony, originally scheduled for tonight at 7 p.m., has been moved to Friday because of the inclement weather heading the area. More information is available on the Lafayette website. www.rockwood.k12.mo.us/lafayette

Hertel hopes for career in modeling

Grace Bueckendorf, Webmaster
May 17, 2011
Filed under Features

Freshman Carlie Hertel, unlike many of her other classmates, who opt for more mainstream careers, hopes to become a model. Hertel first realized a career as a fashion model might be possible when her sister's friend, Anna Bryant, told her she "had such potential as a model.  [Bryant] is also a model." This... Read more »

PRANKED!

Grace Bueckendorf, Webmaster
May 9, 2011
Filed under News, Top Stories

At 7 a.m. on Monday, May 9, those arriving bright and early to school were greeted with what appeared to be a senior prank.   The main and side stairwells were lined with styrofoam cups filled with water blocking passage.  The custodians could be seen tediously dumping out the water and throwing... Read more »

Paperback Exchange offers new way of trading books

Grace Bueckendorf, Webmaster
April 13, 2011
Filed under News, Top Stories

In the back of the library, in the room lined with windows lie bookshelves full of books.  But these books aren't for checking out.  They are for borrowing.  Librarian Nichole Ballard-Long recently set up what she calls the Paperback Exchange.  Students and teachers can come and if they donate... Read more »

ABC schedule revised for EOC testing

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
April 6, 2011
Filed under News

In order to accomodate EOC testing, the ABC schedule for the week of April 11-15 has been changed.  The new ABC shedule is as follows: April 11: B Day April 12: C Day April 13: B Day April 14: C Day April 15 and April 18-21 are A Days, but they, too are revised shedules.  The revised... Read more »

Kinder, Smith and Doell elected to Board of Education

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
April 6, 2011
Filed under News, Top Stories

On Tuesday, April 5, voters headed to the polls to choose new Rockwood School Board Directors. Vying for the three open seats were Matt Doell, Mike Geller, Keith Kinder, Kevin Mabie, Stephen Smith and Roger Stock. Kinder, Smith and Doell, received  the highest number of votes and  will take... Read more »

54th Street Grill exceeds expectations

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
April 5, 2011
Filed under Features

Walking into 54thStreet Grill in the Chesterfield Valley, to be honest, I wasn’t expecting that much.  At most, I was expecting an average sports bar-like atmosphere with decent food and TVs playing everywhere.  However, I was proved wrong.  The waitress was friendly and efficient,... Read more »

Almost 5,000 items collected for Operation Food Search

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
March 28, 2011
Filed under News, Top Stories

During Rockwood Reading Week, a food and toiletry collection was held, called Feed Before You Read. All of the donations were given to Operation Food Search, who distributed the nearly 5,000 items to needy people all around the St. Louis area. Principal John Shaugnessy said, "I am continually... Read more »

Spring snow storm hits St. Louis area

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
March 26, 2011
Filed under Top Stories

Although at the beginning of Spring Break week, it was 85 degrees, sunny and the icy, cold, snowy winter seemed to be just a distant memory, this weekend, the weather proved otherwise. Friday morning, March 25, St. Louis residents woke up to find minor snow and sleet accumulations that were pretty... Read more »

Lafayette Publications claims awards at SSP Conference

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
March 10, 2011
Filed under News, Top Stories

Monday, March 7, Lafayette Publications staff members went to Webster University to attend the annual Sponsors of School Publications (SSP) Spring Conference. In addition to attending "break-out" sessions, or classes focused on their area of interest, the students also sat through an award ceremony... Read more »

‘Stacks for Good Acts’: IHOP National Pancake Day

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
February 28, 2011
Filed under News

On Tuesday, March 1, IHOP is offering a free short stack to any customer walking in from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. However, IHOP is asking for a little something in return for the free pancakes.  All they ask is that customers leave a small, optional gift to the Children's Miracle Network.  Last year alone,... Read more »

Senior Lunch by the Courtyard: Genghis Grill

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
February 28, 2011
Filed under News, Top Stories

This Friday, March 4, seniors will have the opportunity to purchase a Mongolian stir fry lunch from Genghis Grill and eat outside by the courtyard. The choices include chicken, beef or veggies with a brownie and a drink.  The cost for the lunch is $6.50.  Tickets will be sold during lunch on Feb.... Read more »

Vega makes a splash in swimming world

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
February 22, 2011
Filed under Features

Patrick Vega, although only a freshman this year, is able to hold his own among the state's best.  He proved this through a second and third place at State, and through his third place finish this weekend at the Missouri Grand Prix in the 800 free relay with his teammates.  Even though he has already... Read more »

STUCO plans events for Turnabout Dance Week

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
February 17, 2011
Filed under News, Top Stories

Turnabout has changed drastically this year. Turnabout will take place Feb. 26 from 7:30-10:30 p.m. Much like Homecoming, there will be lunch activities the week of the dance.  Only seniors will be allowed to participate in the activities such as a jello eating contest and 'water war' (the card... Read more »

Last day to buy Mr. LHS tickets

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
January 28, 2011
Filed under News

A tradition for many years at Lafayette, Mr. LHS has become something to look forward to for many students. However, Jan. 28 during lunch is the last day tickets will be on sale.  Mr. LHS will be held Tues. Feb. 1 at 7 p.m.

Winter at the Zoo brings new faces and exhibits

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
January 26, 2011
Filed under News, Top Stories

Although the St. Louis Zoo is a way many "St. Louisans" pass the hot summer days, it also has many winter attractions worth noting.  Even though it's cold, the Zoo is still up and running and the winter is a great time to see some of the colder weather animals such as penguins and polar bears. One... Read more »

Faraci’s offers alternative to Imo’s

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
January 17, 2011
Filed under Features

For the most part, St. Louis style pizza is synonymous with Imo’s.  Although Imo’s is an option, it isn’t the only choice for those wanting crispy, thin crust pizza. Faraci’s, off of Manchester in the same shopping center as Shop ‘n Save, offers a great alternative to Imo’s. Its menu... Read more »

How to make a schedule change

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
January 5, 2011
Filed under News

Making a schedule change is a long and difficult process, but for some students it proves worth it.  For instance, if they didn't get the teacher they wanted, the class they wanted, the hour they needed.  However, the time for "choice changes" is long gone.  A "choice change" is a schedule change... Read more »

Holiday Showcase offers unique concert experience

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
December 13, 2010
Filed under News

On Dec. 10, guests arrived at Lafayette for the Holiday Showcase put on by the Fine Arts Department.  Although the Holiday Showcase is a choir event, it is anything but the standard choir concert.  Sophomore choir student Roohi Singh said, "[The Holiday Showcase] gives the audience a different... Read more »

Book study for parents: Sharpening parenting skills

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
December 8, 2010
Filed under News

A book study designed to answer pressing questions about parenting started in November.  The focus of the group is the book Why Do They Act That Way?  A Survival Guide to the Adolescent Brain for You and Your Teen by David Walsh, PhD. The group is led by counselor JoAnne Goehler and ... Read more »

Award-winning robotics team season to start work soon

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
December 6, 2010
Filed under News

Of all the clubs at Lafayette, the one that probably gets the least press is the Rockwood Robotics Team.  Rockwood Robotics is comprised of around 50 students from all of the Rockwood high schools.  In addition to the students there are four professional engineers and a businessman that mentor the... Read more »

This is no ordinary coffee shop

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
November 12, 2010
Filed under Features

The Ballwin coffee shop, located off of Manchester, More Than Coffee, offers, as its name implies, more than just coffee. Don't be fooled by the shop's small size, for its impact is immense. They have, in the past two years, helped more than 20 physically and mental disabled people obtain employment... Read more »

How To: Turn a Pumpkin into a Jack-o-Lantern

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
October 28, 2010
Filed under Features

As Halloween comes closer, it comes time to turn that pumpkin you picked into a Jack-O-Lantern.  This is a fun tradition that helps spice up your front yard and welcome young trick-or-treaters to your door. Materials Needed: ... Read more »

Taste of West County requesting recipe submission

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
October 21, 2010
Filed under Top Stories

This year, the Class of 2012 is compiling a recipe book to go along with Taste of West County.  If you have any recipe, original or not, make sure to email it to TOWCcookbook@gmail.com.   See the instructions for more details.

WANTED: Harry Potter look-alikes

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
October 20, 2010
Filed under Top Stories

The Image is looking for Harry Potter look-alikes for an upcoming story.  If you feel like you look like Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Malfoy or any Hogwarts professor, submit a picture to Room 137A by Oct. 22.

Hot Links: Find the perfect pumpkin patch

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
October 18, 2010
Filed under Features

When the leaves change from green to orange, and the temperature drops, it means Halloween is coming up and it’s time to find the perfect pumpkin.  For people who prefer to go to off-the-beaten-path gems, here’s a list of sites to search. http://www.pumpkinpatchesandmore.org/MOpumpkins.php This... Read more »

Library offers ‘Fine Forgiveness’ this week

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
October 6, 2010
Filed under News

With the updated library in the new wing of the school, more students are frequently visiting the library.  Llibrarian Nicole Ballard-Long approximated 700-800 students come into the library a day. “They love it here, and so do we,” Ballard-Long said.  “When we have two classes booked,... Read more »

How To: Switch up traditional hot chocolate

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
October 4, 2010
Filed under Features

As the weather changes and students don boots instead of flip-flops, and sweaters instead of tank-tops, there is a need for a warm, soothing drink.  Many turn to hot chocolate, but that can get to be boring, so learning to spice it up can be useful.  The perfect alternative is Peanut Butter Cup Hot... Read more »

Shadowing at veterinary hospital offers unique experiences

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
September 27, 2010
Filed under Features

While many teenagers choose to sleep in on Saturday morning, sophomore Morgan Poisson heads off to shadow at Fox Creek Veterinary Hospital. There, she helps the vets, Dr. Steward Robson and Dr. Megan Marshall care for all the animals that come through the doors. Poisson started shadowing in the... Read more »

Design firm chosen for rennovations to Archgrounds

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
September 24, 2010
Filed under News

On April 30, 2010, lhsimage.com ran a story concerning the competition for the Gateway Archgrounds.  The MVVA design firm, along with architect Michael Van Valkenburgh, were announced as the winner recently. The rennovations are planned to be done in 2015, the 50th anniversary... Read more »

Wesley decorates cakes in free time

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
September 13, 2010
Filed under Features

While many opt for more common pastimes such as doodling and watching television, sophomore Mallory Wesley decorates cakes. She first realized she wanted to decorate cakes while watching the Food Network on television. "I like to watch the Food Network and thought it would be a fun skill to learn... Read more »

New construction on drainage ditch

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
September 10, 2010
Filed under News

For the past few years, construction has become an everyday part of Lafayette culture. Recently, though, new construction has begun by the drainage ditch. Associate Principal Renee Trotier said that they are reconfiguring the drainage ditch in order to accomodate the new building size.  They... Read more »

‘I Love Boobies!’ bracelets cause controversy

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
September 10, 2010
Filed under News, Top Stories

Bracelets designed to raise breast cancer awareness have been banned in schools throughout California, Colorado, Idaho, Florida and Wisconsin.  The schools argue that the slogan, "I Love Boobies!" is offensive and rude. The principal of Baltic High School in South Dakota, Jim Aisenbrey, said,... Read more »

Senior Lunch on the Shelf: Five Guys Burgers and Fries

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
September 7, 2010
Filed under News, Top Stories

Tickets are currently being sold during all lunch shifts for this week's Senior Lunch on the Shelf.  On Sept. 10, Five Guys Burgers and Fries will be providing the lunch.  Tickets cost $6-8 depending on what option is ordered.

Staff/Student of the Week pizza winners

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
September 3, 2010
Filed under News

Every week, there is a drawing for the Staff/Student of the Week Pizzas.  This week, the winners are language arts teacher Jeff Landow and junior Alexa Benson.

Tamaroff moves on to Central Office

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
August 24, 2010
Filed under News

As the new school year begins, teachers throughout Rockwood are adjusting to new classrooms, new students and sometimes new schools.  Lafayette’s former Latin teacher, Jeff Tamaroff, however, is adjusting to a new job. Last June, a position as Curriculum Coordinator for the World Language and ESOL... Read more »

Student’s most recent world travels take him to Egypt

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
August 19, 2010
Filed under Features

While the furthest many Lafayette students have ventured on summer break is Florida, sophomore Kevin Dick has been around the world-- literally.  He has been to 21 countries on four continents, including North America, Asia, Europe and Africa. In fact, his most recent trip was to Egypt where he visited... Read more »

Great bargains at local basement sale

Grace Bueckendorf, Asst. Webmaster
June 4, 2010
Filed under News

A great way to burn off some summer boredom is searching for great bargains at a second hand sale. This weekend, at St. Alban Roe Parish across the street on Hwy 109, is a huge Basement Sale. This sale features two buildings of merchandise.  One holds books, furniture, household knickknacks and... Read more »

Bond moving to administrative role at Crestview

Grace Bueckendorf, Reporter
May 13, 2010
Filed under News, Top Stories

Starting next fall, language arts teacher Melinda Bond will assume an administrative position at Crestview Middle School.  In March, Bond found out she had been selected to be an administrative intern at Crestview. “I started looking for administrative positions in the spring of 2009.  At Crestview,... Read more »

Freshman makes US Continental Volleyball team

Grace Bueckendorf, Reporter
May 10, 2010
Filed under Features

Although freshman Stephanie Campbell only started volleyball to fill in a missing spot on a recreational volleyball team, she has taken volleyball to a whole new personal level. She started on the recreational team when she was in 5th grade, and by 6th grade was playing club volleyball for Rockwood... Read more »

Design firms compete for rennovations to Gateway Arch grounds

Grace Bueckendorf, Reporter
April 30, 2010
Filed under Top Stories

The St. Louis Arch is an international icon of America’s westward migration.  As The Gateway to the West, the Arch naturally draws attention to St. Louis. The city plans to renovate the Arch grounds in order to integrate the city, the river, and the culture of St. Louis into the park grounds. As... Read more »

NHS acceptance numbers on the rise

Grace Bueckendorf, Reporter
April 23, 2010
Filed under News, Top Stories

National Honor Society (NHS) acceptance and rejection letters have been distributed to eligible sophomores, juniors and seniors who applied for admission. NHS sponsor AnnMarie Gilman said, “If a student’s score meets the minimum, they are invited to join. There is no pre-set limit to the number... Read more »

Willard makes his room stand out from crowd

Grace Bueckendorf, Reporter
April 20, 2010
Filed under Features

While most teachers decorate their walls only with recent student work, encouraging posters and maybe a shelf or two, language arts teacher Nathan Willard goes the extra mile to be unique. Upon a student’s entrance, they will first be struck by Lord of the Rings and Star Wars... Read more »

Profits generated at Lancers Landing benefit all students

Grace Bueckendorf, Reporter
April 9, 2010
Filed under Uncategorized

Whether it is to buy an emergency water bottle for practice or to snag a quick snack before 3rd Hour, most students have been to Lancers Landing at one point or another. But, Lancers Landing does ore than just feed student’s appetites for books, spiritwear and snacks.  It is a vital part of Lafayette... Read more »

Senior gives updo away

Grace Bueckendorf, Reporter
April 5, 2010
Filed under News

Two weeks ago, Metro Design Studios offered students a chance at a free updo in a raffle which they set up during lunch.  The updo was intended to be given to those juniors and seniors going to prom. Winners of the updo raffle were announced last week. They included seniors Leah Bartmess, Maddie... Read more »

Student remakes 1950s pictures with new twist

Grace Bueckendorf, Reporter
March 29, 2010
Filed under Features

Although most artists limit themselves to a specific media or type, Lauren Rismiller enjoys exploring all artistic avenues. Drawing used to be all she would do. Then, she discovered her passion for painting during AP Art Studio. “I was a drawer for the longest time; there was this time that... Read more »

Lapse in Kirkwood policy raises student attention

Grace Bueckendorf, Reporter
March 8, 2010
Filed under News

Bullying in high schools is nothing new.  However, when school handbooks fail to prohibit bullying, problems can arise. The Kirkwood High School (KHS) handbook forbids bullying based on race, color, religion, gender, national orientation, ancestry, disability and age, but leaves out any mention of... Read more »

Students and staff invited to Culinary Open House

Grace Bueckendorf, Reporter
February 24, 2010
Filed under News

The Lafayette community is invited to observe what the Lafayette Culinary Program has been up to this year through the first Culinary Open House. The free Open House is scheduled to take place on Feb. 24 at 6 p.m. in Room 109, and is open to the community, Lafayette staff, Board of Education members... Read more »

This Week in History

Grace Bueckendorf, Reporter
February 8, 2010
Filed under News

Music was changed forever this week in history.  The first gold record was made and one of the most popular bands of all time ventured to the U.S.  On Feb. 10, 1942, the song Chattanooga Choo Choo became the first song to be a gold record by selling over a million copies.  It was famous... Read more »

Freshman Carnival earns nearly $6,000

Grace Bueckendorf, Reporter
February 1, 2010
Filed under News

Although it was Assistant Principal Mandy Lewis’ first time running a Lafayette fundraiser, it earned about $6,000 for the Class of 2013 and volunteers said the day ran smoothly. “It’s running a whole lot smoother than I had imagined. The parents really have it very well under control,” Lewis... Read more »