• 2014 Legend will be distributed Aug. 4-5. Watch your mail for a postcard with details. May 23, 2014

• Follow us on Twitter! @LHSImage December 10, 2013

Why Superman is a bad character (despite being a good dude)

Eric Deters, Reporter
May 3, 2013
Filed under Blog, Opinions, Top Stories

A little while ago, I read something by screenwriter Max Landis (who most recently wrote Chronicle) that went like this: “Batman is Batman out of perceived obligation, personal trauma, and obsession. Superman is Superman BY CHOICE. Superman is a better character.” Something about this... Read more »

Monaco: What’s Yours is Mine isn’t as finely crafted a singleplayer experience as a multiplayer one

Eric Deters, Reporter
April 30, 2013
Filed under Opinions, Reviews, Top Stories

Just as a fair warning, these are simply early impressions of Monaco: What’s Yours is Mine, the new indie top-down heist game from Pocketwatch Games. I haven’t finished the game solo, and I haven’t played any of it in multiplayer. I have, however, watched a fair amount of the game played... Read more »

Out and About: Firehouse Subs

Out and About: Firehouse Subs

Eric Deters, Reporter
April 29, 2013
Filed under Features

Firehouse Subs may be in the same general market as Mr. Goodcents and Jimmy John’s, but there are a number of things that set this sandwich franchise apart from the rest. For starters, the sub chain was created by former firefighters Chris and Robin Sorensen in Jacksonville, Florida in the year 1994.... Read more »

Dishonored: The Knife of Dunwall may not fix every problem the original game had, but it’s still an excellent expansion

Eric Deters, Reporter
April 24, 2013

I have the weirdest feelings towards Dishonored. They’ve changed pretty constantly since I’ve finished the game. The Low Chaos ending is an anticlimax that works thematically, but is probably the worst gameplay decision that could’ve possibly been made (other than having the Lord Regent... Read more »

Oblivion isn’t entirely original, but almost everything about it works quite well

Eric Deters, Reporter
April 23, 2013

Going into Oblivion, the next project by the director of Tron: Legacy, I was concerned, if not prepared for disappointment. Tron: Legacy was a visual masterpiece, but ultimately a pretty dry and forgettable film (aside from a killer soundtrack by Daft Punk). I was worried... Read more »

Guacamelee! is an appropriately awesome title for an awesome game

Eric Deters, Reporter
April 15, 2013

Guacamelee! is one of those odd combinations that really shouldn’t work. A luchador-themed Metroidvania with lots of referential humor, an art style inspired by Mexican culture, and dimension-swapping mechanics similar to 2011’s Outland. It sounds like a mish-mash of ideas, and... Read more »

Community Podcast Part 1

Community Podcast Part 1

Eric Deters, Reporter
April 12, 2013
Filed under Opinions

Our first podcast is finally live! We had to jump through a lot of hoops to get this up for you (including creating another Wordpress site to host the podcast on), but jumped through hoops we have. In this podcast, I am joined by Language Arts teacher ... Read more »

On Roger Ebert, his comments on video games, his legacy

Eric Deters, Reporter
April 10, 2013
Filed under Blog, Opinions, Top Stories

News of Roger Ebert’s death struck me a lot more than I expected it to. It also came as a great surprise even after learning that he had cancer (long after he actually contracted it, mind you). For some reason, I felt like he was going to be around for a lot longer than he was; that he was going to... Read more »

Bioshock Infinite provides an incredible, innovative experience that cannot often be found in the first-person shooter market

Eric Deters, Reporter
April 3, 2013

Bioshock Infinite feels like a game with far too many good ideas. I can’t decide whether this is really an issue I have with the game or just an indicator of precisely how great it actually is. The direction it eventually shifts its focus when it comes to presenting its many, many topics wasn't where... Read more »

Top Eleven Comic Series

Top Eleven Comic Series

Eric Deters, Reporter
March 14, 2013
Filed under Blog, Opinions

Over the past 12 months, I've been reading a bunch of comics in an attempt to better understand a medium that I've always had a peripheral interest in but never really jumped into. I tried to stay away from “mainstream” superhero comics, since I knew that was a rabbit-hole I had no intention... Read more »

RUNNER 2 takes the fantastic core gameplay from its predecessor and refines its shell, leaving a more accessible and polished experience

Eric Deters, Reporter
March 11, 2013

I gave up on the first BIT.TRIP RUNNER before I finished the first of its three worlds. For the most part, it was a great, fun game, but the level just before the first boss was so long and so boring before it even gets to the parts where it tries to actively get you killed that playing it... Read more »

Academy Awards Round-Up

Academy Awards Round-Up

Eric Deters, Reporter
February 27, 2013
Filed under News

On Feb. 24, the 85th Annual Academy Awards were held in the Dolby Theater and hosted by Seth MacFarlane, creator of Family Guy, American Dad!, and most recently, Ted. The show’s themes were celebrating music in film and also the 50 year anniversary of James Bond. The... Read more »

Dead Space 3′s superb combat, sound design, and crafting system more than make up for its weak story

Eric Deters, Reporter
February 26, 2013

The Dead Space games are usually ones that I appreciate most in retrospect as opposed to when I’m actually playing them. The combat’s fine-tuning and precision becomes more apparent as I think about it, and the sheer amount of detail makes each moment and locale memorable. Most would tell... Read more »

Hot Links: Five Websites for Finding New Reading Material

Eric Deters, Reporter
February 26, 2013
Filed under Features, Hot Links

www.amazon.com The best thing about Amazon when it comes to finding new books (or any other kind of media) is that it’s a one stop shop; it’ll give you recommendations based on what you’ve purchased recently, and you can purchase things straight from there. ... Read more »

Community’s Season 4 premiere wasn’t necessarily bad television, just bad Community

Eric Deters, Reporter
February 14, 2013

If you know one thing about me, it’s probably that I love Community. I’ve watched the show in its entirety numerous times, rewatch my favorite episodes frequently, and I’m watching it again right now because I love it so much. It became clear as I watched the show that while many were... Read more »

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch has an incredible opening, but its flaws quickly become readily apparent

Eric Deters, Reporter
February 11, 2013

As disclaimer, I haven’t fully completed Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch yet, as it’s an absolutely massive game. I have, however, made it through a decent chunk of the game, and I believe I can at least begin to delineate my thoughts on the experience so far. Ni No Kuni is... Read more »

The Cave is as funny as any classic Ron Gilbert title, but it’s rarely as clever or fun to play

Eric Deters, Reporter
February 6, 2013

The Cave is the latest game from legendary game designer Ron Gilbert, creator of games like Maniac Mansion and The Secret of Monkey Island, after joining Tim Schafer’s team at Double Fine Studios. It attempts to merge old-school point-and-click adventure game design to... Read more »

Eric Deters’ Top 11 Films of 2012

Eric Deters’ Top 11 Films of 2012

Eric Deters, Reporter
February 4, 2013
Filed under Blog, Opinions

Another list! As the title indicates, this one is for movies rather than games. I feel slightly stronger about this list than I do the last one, as I didn't have to cut a bunch of excellent experiences. Anyway, enjoy! 11. Life of Pi ... Read more »

DmC: Devil May Cry’s vibrant world and slick combat make it something worth playing

Eric Deters, Reporter
January 24, 2013
Filed under Opinions, Reviews

Let me begin by saying that I’ve never played the original Devil May Cry games, and thus, I had no opinion on the series before jumping into this reboot. Instead, my expectations for the game were mostly focused towards Ninja Theory, the development studio that was creating the game, since... Read more »

Zero Dark Thirty is excellent direction marred by weak, lazy writing

Eric Deters, Reporter
January 16, 2013

Much has been said regarding Zero Dark Thirty’s depiction of torture and the death of Osama Bin Laden. Little has been said, however, of the fact that the movie meanders often, and is infrequently an exciting or entertaining work of art. For the uninitiated, Zero Dark Thirty is... Read more »

Gangster Squad is an inconsequential but entertaining film that could’ve been a lot more

Eric Deters, Reporter
January 11, 2013

Gangster Squad, the next film from Zombieland director Ruben Fleischer, was originally scheduled for release in early September. However, the film included a climactic scene involving a theater shooting and, due to the proximity to the Aurora shootings in late July, the film was pushed... Read more »

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey doesn’t quite reach the highs of the original Lord of the Rings trilogy

Eric Deters, Reporter
January 9, 2013
Filed under Opinions, Reviews

Does The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey really require any kind of introduction? Peter Jackson’s previous Lord of the Rings films are such an enormous presence in the film industry that this follow-up not only seemed inevitable, but maybe even bigger than its predecessors. The... Read more »

Django Unchained is one of Tarantino’s best, as well as one of the better movies of 2012

Eric Deters, Reporter
January 8, 2013
Filed under Opinions, Reviews

Django Unchained was the non-sequel/reboot movie I was most looking forward to in 2012. Quentin Tarantino’s track record is truly something to behold, and the concept of a freed slave taking revenge on his former captors was perfectly pulpy. Thankfully, that potential is fully realized in... Read more »

VGA 10 Round-Up

VGA 10 Round-Up

Eric Deters, Reporter
December 13, 2012
Filed under News, Top Stories

On Friday, Samuel L. Jackson hosted the tenth anniversary of the annual Spike Video Game Awards show. Guests included Jack Black and Kyle Gass (who later played a song from the most recent Tenacious D album “Rize of the Fenix”), Jessica Alba, Johnny Galecki, Zachary Levi, Marlon Wayans, Snoop Lion,... Read more »

Eric Deters’ Top 11 Games of 2012

Eric Deters’ Top 11 Games of 2012

Eric Deters, Reporter
December 11, 2012
Filed under Blog, Opinions

11. Dishonored Dishonored is... Read more »

Halo 4 is a great start to the Reclaimer trilogy, as well as an excellent Halo game

Eric Deters, Reporter
December 6, 2012
Filed under Opinions, Reviews

Halo 3 is one of my most played games of all time, right up there with the time sink that is World of Warcraft. I’ve been playing Halo games for quite some time, and while the announcement of a Halo 4 didn’t exactly surprise me, it did intrigue me more than the... Read more »

The Walking Dead: The Game is an easy contender for Game of the Year

Eric Deters, Reporter
November 29, 2012
Filed under Opinions, Reviews

Color me surprised as all hell. I enjoyed the first episode of The Walking Dead: The Game, but I absolutely didn’t expect the whole season to blow it out of the water. With the possible exception of Episode Four: Around Every Corner, every episode following the first builds on the... Read more »

Assassin’s Creed 3 is the best kind of history lesson, and the best game in the series

Eric Deters, Reporter
November 28, 2012
Filed under Opinions, Reviews

I never really hopped on the Assassin’s Creed hype train. I've played all of the games to completion except Revelations, and only really enjoyed the first and second games, and the first had a TON of issues. I felt as though Brotherhood’s mechanics never meshed with... Read more »

Skyfall is a deft mixture of style and substance, as well as an honor to the Bond legacy

Eric Deters, Reporter
November 26, 2012

Skyfall has the honor of being the first James Bond film I actually enjoyed. I’m fairly ashamed to admit that I haven’t seen any of the classic Bond films, but it was probably due to the fact that I wasn't impressed with the modern ones. Casino Royale  was okay, and Quantum... Read more »

Lincoln’s quality is undeniable, but it doesn’t go much beyond that.

Eric Deters, Staff Reporter
November 14, 2012
Filed under Opinions, Reviews

Let’s just get this out of the way: I have no idea whether Daniel Day-Lewis or Joaquin Phoenix is going to get the Best Actor Academy Award. I simply don’t know. They’re entirely different breeds of performances. Phoenix portrayed a powerful, emotionally devastating character that does not exist.... Read more »

Flight’s sole malfunction shouldn’t be enough to deter viewers

Eric Deters, Reporter
November 11, 2012
Filed under Opinions, Reviews

I went into Flight with slightly unreasonable expectations. The trailers were brilliant, well-edited, and contained number of excellent actors. The movie is, as well, brilliant, well-edited, and full of excellent actors. However, it was also home to some serious issues that make it a tough... Read more »

Out and About: B&B Theatres

Out and About: B&B Theatres

Eric Deters, Reporter
November 6, 2012
Filed under Features, Top Stories

B&B Theatres opened in the Wildwood Town Center in Oct. 2010, and it has been gaining an audience from the crowds of movie-goers that were originally only torn between the Chesterfield AMC in the mall and the Wehrenberg Galaxy in the Valley. While B&B may not be as large as either of those... Read more »

Wreck-It Ralph is a gamer’s movie in the least pandering way, but you don’t have to love video games to enjoy it

Eric Deters, Reporter
November 5, 2012
Filed under Opinions, Reviews

Wreck-It Ralph is very clearly a movie made by people who love video games. None of its myriad references feel forced. Every video game-y thing about it works in its favor rather than its detriment, and it isn't shackled by its premise. It breaks beyond being solely about video games and... Read more »

Argo is Ben Affleck’s best directorial effort by far

Eric Deters, Reporter
October 25, 2012
Filed under Opinions, Reviews

Going into “Argo” with no clue as to what the next two hours will entail is precisely how the film should be experienced, so I’ll do my best to be vague while still explaining why I enjoyed it. “Argo” is about a CIA specialist named Antonio Mendez (played by Ben Affleck, who is also the... Read more »

Dishonored is the best kind of “short, but sweet”

Eric Deters, Reporter
October 23, 2012
Filed under Opinions, Reviews

Dishonored is about a supernatural assassin on either a vengeful rampage or a surgical series of subtle eliminations, otherwise known as the epitome of “cool.” The game establishes itself on the notion of giving the player a vast number of ways to approach any given problem, and the means... Read more »

Club Spotlight: Lafayette Film Society makes comeback

Eric Deters, Reporter
October 22, 2012
Filed under Features, Top Stories

Following a three-year hiatus, the Lafayette Film Society returned last month with an airing of Three O’Clock High, the story of a high school student standing up to an enigmatic, menacing bully inspired by Spaghetti Westerns like High Noon. Instead of being a venue for simply... Read more »

Perks of Being a Wallflower will not disappoint readers; may inspire new fans

Eric Deters, Reporter
October 11, 2012
Filed under Opinions, Reviews

In my age group, I doubt there’s another media property talked about anywhere near as much as Stephen Chbosky’s 1999 novel The Perks of Being a Wallflower. More so than the grossly popular Harry Potter and Twilight series, Perks, from what I could tell before... Read more »

Borderlands 2 not only has more everything, but for the most part, better everything

Eric Deters, Reporter
October 4, 2012

Borderlands 2 is quite a lot like the original Borderlands. There have been some smart evolutions and additions, but some of the same problems persist. However, the changes that have been made affect the experience so dramatically that the issues that plagued the original game... Read more »

Looper is a smart action thriller that truly deserves to be seen

Eric Deters, Reporter
October 1, 2012

As Dean Pelton of Greendale Community College understands, time travel is a tough thing to base a story around. In my experience, narratives with time warps, alternate timelines, or parallel universes are enjoyable, but are often brought down by all the logical paradoxes and outright absurdity of their... Read more »

Joaquin Phoenix’s return to film in The Master is awe-inspiring

Eric Deters, Reporter
September 27, 2012
Filed under Opinions, Reviews

I had this magical moment seconds after finishing The Master where I realized I needed to see it again, and not just because there was some stuff that flew over my head. I just wanted to experience the range of emotions it inspires all over again. It was visually breathtaking, emotionally taxing,... Read more »

Emmy Awards round-up

Emmy Awards round-up

Eric Deters, Staff Writer
September 25, 2012
Filed under News, Top Stories

Showtime’s Homeland and ABC’s Modern Family took home a hefty amount of awards at the 64th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards, held in the Nokia Theatre and hosted by Jimmy Kimmel on the night of Sept. 23, 2012. The drama show Homeland stars Claire Danes as neurotic... Read more »

Lawless contains marvelous performances, less-than-marvelous most everything else

Eric Deters, Reporter
September 17, 2012
Filed under Opinions, Reviews

Even after about a week of mulling it over, I don’t really know how high of a recommendation I’d give Lawless. There’s no doubt that it’s a serviceable film, or an enjoyable experience, but it doesn't go much further than that. The performances are spectacular, but the majority of the... Read more »

Mark of the Ninja contains ninjas, therefore awesome.

Eric Deters, Staff Writer
September 14, 2012
Filed under Opinions, Reviews

It’s taken a while, but I think we may finally have a perfect stealth game. Most other games in this genre have needlessly complicated controls that frequently don’t allow you to do what you want to at the right time. They give you useless information and withhold important details, meaning that... Read more »

Dust: An Elysian Tail is a stunning feat of animation and design

Eric Deters, Staff Writer
September 12, 2012
Filed under Opinions, Reviews

I find that most indie games are truly miraculous. Small teams working for too little money on projects extremely close to their hearts are the kind of stories that could only exist in fiction, but based on the few examples I’ve seen, it must happen all the time in the indie game space. Dean Dodrill,... Read more »

Sleeping Dogs captures the essence of Hong Kong action cinema

Eric Deters, Reporter
September 5, 2012
Filed under Opinions, Reviews

I won’t get into the long and storied history behind this game, aside from saying that it’s a miracle that it exists in the first place. As another entry in the open world crime genre, Sleeping Dogs takes more influence from films like The Departed and Infernal Affairs... Read more »

Darksiders 2 transcends its influences

Darksiders 2 transcends its influences

Eric Deters, Reporter
September 4, 2012
Filed under Opinions, Reviews

The original Darksiders, which released within the first week of 2010, was a bit of a hidden gem, which surprised me greatly. It was heavily influenced in equal parts by the design and structure of the Legend of Zelda series and the combat and atmosphere of God of War, both... Read more »

Through These Halls – David Choate

Through These Halls – David Choate

Eric Deters, Reporter
August 29, 2012
Filed under Features

This week in “Through These Halls,” The Image asked Language Arts teacher David Choate a few questions so prospective, current or prior students of his could gain some insight into the man behind the literature. Eric Deters – “Now that students and teachers are starting to get back... Read more »

Community Season 3 is a master stroke

Community Season 3 is a master stroke

Eric Deters, Staff Writer
August 21, 2012
Filed under Opinions, Reviews

With the news that Community will be returning for a fourth season in the fall, fans of the show (including myself) could not be more excited. At least, not until the three-episode season finale. Words can scarcely describe precisely how great Community is, but I’ll try to do it justice;... Read more »

Deadlight shambles like the undead hordes it features

Eric Deters, Reporter
August 7, 2012
Filed under Opinions, Reviews

Third in line for Microsoft’s 2012 Summer of Arcade extravaganza, Tequila Works’ Deadlight has just recently been released. It’s a 2D puzzle platformer, with a similar visual style to LIMBO meshed with Shadow Complex, and it follows Randall Wayne as he travels through... Read more »

The conclusion to Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy soars

Eric Deters, Reporter
August 7, 2012

I don’t really know what to say about The Dark Knight Rises that can’t be instantly gleamed from the pedigree behind it and the work that it serves as a sequel to. The Dark Knight was arguably the greatest comic book film ever made, and one of the best movies of 2008. Christopher... Read more »

“The Avengers” surpasses high expectations

Eric Deters, guest writer
May 15, 2012

You know that a movie gets things right when you search madly for another person who was crazy enough to stay up until three in the morning just to see it so you can gush about every aspect about it. For comic book fans, superhero fans and movie lovers in general, “The... Read more »

“The Hunger Games” movie impresses, stays true to book

Eric Deters, Guest Writer
April 8, 2012
Filed under Blog, Opinions

Before attending the early screening of “The Hunger Games,” I had only a small pool of knowledge regarding the trilogy of books that the film was beginning to adapt to the big screen. I had of course seen the number of trailers that had been put out, and it looked very well made, but I didn’t know... Read more »

Acting in ‘John Carter’ falls below expectations

Eric Deters, Guest Writer
April 5, 2012
Filed under Opinions, Reviews

Before anyone cries foul and tries to patronize this movie for being too much like some of the “Star Wars” prequels or another science fiction film series, know that the source material for Disney’s “John Carter” was written in 1917 under the title “A Princess of Mars” by Edgar Rice Burroughs... Read more »