• Drive 4 UR School is this Saturday, April 19 from 9 AM to 4 PM in the Lafayette parking lot April 17, 2014

• There is no school on Friday, April 18 April 16, 2014

• Rockwood Board approved Dr. Eric Knost as new superintendent. March 28, 2014

• Follow us on Twitter! @LHSImage December 10, 2013

Classes receive hands-on experience during end-of-year field trips

Garrett McBay, Reporter
April 16, 2014
Filed under News, School News

On April 11, Becky Lawrence's Foods 3 class left school on a trip to learn about food and culture in Soulard. "We went to the Soulard Market, and talked to local farmers about supply and demand and what it is like to grow your own food," Lawrence said. The class explored the market and observed... Read More »

Seniors activities kick off with Cardinals game

Garrett McBay, Reporter
April 9, 2014
Filed under News, School News

Over the upcoming weeks, the senior class will be participating in a set of activities too celebrate their graduation. On April 9, seniors who purchased a ticket will be leaving school early to watch a Cardinals baseball game at Busch stadium against the Cincinnati Reds, as they finish their home... Read More »

LHS Shirt Co. opens for business

LHS Shirt Co. opens for business

Garrett McBay, Reporter
March 27, 2014
Filed under Local News, News, School News, Top Stories

Over the next few weeks, students from the Business Management class will be selling shirts and tank tops as a part of the "LHS Shirt Co."  Sales began March 27, and will end April 10. Items sold will include men's and women's tee shirts for $12, and tank tops for $10. The students designed both... Read More »

Out and About: Pizzarelli’s offers good, local pizza

Garrett McBay, Reporter
March 7, 2014
Filed under Features, Out and About, Top Stories

Located near Chipotle and Einstein Bros., 15858 Manchester Rd. is the home of Pizzarelli's, a classic, old-fashioned pizza joint that makes freshly made, great tasting pizza. Pizzarelli's offers deep dish, Chicago and New York style pizzas, as well as other entrees, such as calzones and pasta. I prefer... Read More »

Students use Spanish speaking skills at Spanish market

Garrett McBay, Reporter
February 20, 2014
Filed under News, School News, Top Stories

On Feb. 14, students, teachers and volunteers came together to hold a Spanish Market. Julie Weitzel, Spanish teacher, came up with the idea for the Spanish Market to help give students a way to use their new Spanish speaking abilities by speaking in Spanish to barter for goods. "The market was... Read More »

As Seen in the Image: McBay sacrifices his video games, from “Breaking Habits”

Garrett McBay, Reporter
February 14, 2014
Filed under Additional Information, As Seen in the Image

Living in a neighborhood with a handful of kids, growing up occasionally got a little boring. However, this changed after the year my parents decided to buy a Playstation 2. Ever since, I have been hooked on video gaming, probably at an unhealthy amount. Some days, I come home, study a little,... Read More »

Freshmen, Sophomore classes hope to raise funds with annual events

Garrett McBay, Reporter
January 31, 2014
Filed under News, School News

On Saturday, Feb. 1, the freshmen and sophomore classes will run the Freshman Winter Carnival and the Sophomore Trivia Night to try and raise money for their Senior Celebrations. Starting at 10 am, freshmen, upperclassmen and parents volunteers will transform parts of the school into a miniature carnival,... Read More »

Multiple snow days cause longer school year, cancel events

Garrett McBay, Reporter
January 15, 2014

After a massive snowfall in early January, Rockwood called for six consecutive snow days starting January 2, and ending January 9, with school continuing on January 10. The large cancellation caused multiple school events to be cancelled, but it also will affect the amounts of days of school for students... Read More »

AFJROTC participates in Florida marching contest

Garrett McBay, Reporter
December 16, 2013

From Dec. 4 to Dec. 9 a group of more than 30 students traveled to Florida for an Air Force Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (AFJROTC) Trojan Force Southwest regional drill meet. "Our drill team and a few extras head down to Florida for the competition, but we try to make it a fun trip for us... Read More »

Teachers pledge to make their rooms safe for LGBT students

Garrett Mcbay, Reporter
December 5, 2013

As of Nov. 27, the  Gay Straight Alliance club has begun to ask teachers throughout the school to make their classrooms "safe rooms" for homosexual students. These safe rooms will become a safe haven where a lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT) student can go to get support for any issue or... Read More »

New TVs are latest LPO-funded project

New TVs are latest LPO-funded project

Garrett McBay, Reporter
November 25, 2013

Earlier this year, new flat screen TVs were installed in the commons, replacing the older TVs that had been at the school for many years. The TVs where purchased in an effort by Principal John Shaughnessy to beautify the school. "At the end of the school year the Lancer Parent Organization (LPO),... Read More »

Though the PLAN was annoying, it should be taken seriously

Garrett McBay, Reporter
October 11, 2013
Filed under Opinions, Opinions, Top Stories

With the PLAN test, taken by sophomores on Oct. 1, come and past, many, including me, have wondered whether or not it was worth the half-day of work. The test itself felt like it was long and drawn out, and I was tempted many times to not try and just answer every question "A." But, the overall importance... Read More »

Out and About: Chesterfield Valley Chick-fil-A closing temporarily while expanding

Out and About:  Chesterfield Valley Chick-fil-A closing temporarily while expanding

Garrett McBay, Reporter
September 13, 2013

On September 14, the Lafayette Renaissance Sponsor Chick-fil-A's restaurant in the Chesterfield Valley will be closing for renovations. The location has set records in the past for speedy service and is hoping to change the restaurant to allow them to move even faster. Chick-fil-A, who hold annual... Read More »

Second Late Start Monday saw no noticeable improvements

Garrett McBay, Reporter
September 10, 2013
Filed under News, School News, Top Stories, Video

The second Late Start Monday of the year was on September 9,  but the results were not better than the first. The Late Start days were implemented to replace monthly half days, and they make school start a hour and a half later than normal every other Monday. However, this extra time has caused some... Read More »

Voting for freshman officers to take place on August 29

Garrett McBay, Reporter
August 29, 2013

On August 29, freshmen will vote during lunch for who they would like to be their class president, vice president, secretary and treasurer. Freshmen officers are a group of freshman students voted in by their peers who will be in charge of planning events for the class, spreading news about the... Read More »

Counselor Marybeth Desloge awarded Counselor of the Year

Garrett McBay, Reporter
April 3, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

A pleasant surprise came to guidance counselor Marybeth Desloge at the annual Counselor/Administrator Appreciation Breakfast, where she won the award of Rockwood School District High School Counselor of the Year. Her friends and colleagues, without telling Desloge, nominated her for the award. "I... Read More »

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time is a blast from the past

Garrett McBay, Reporter
March 1, 2013
Filed under Opinions, Reviews, Top Stories

Growing up in a neighborhood of only a handful of kids, video games became a staple of my childhood. I grew up with games like Ratchet & Clank and Sly Cooper, and when the PlayStation 3 was announced, I was afraid of what would happen to these series. When the PS2 had been announced,... Read More »

Practice ACT to help both students and school

Garrett McBay, Reporter
February 5, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

To help raise test scores and experience, Lafayette Renaissance and Sylvan Learning Center will be holding a practice ACT test on Feb 15 from 12:30 p.m. to 3:45 p.m. The test will be $10, and and profits will benefit Renaissance. The test will be held in Rooms 137 and 180, and will... Read More »

Far Cry 3 strives to be great, but falls a little short

Garrett McBay, Reporter
February 1, 2013
Filed under Opinions, Reviews

With releases like Halo 4,  Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, I went into holiday season 2012 feeling as if every shooter released was going to be yet another linear and short game where my best friend would be a man with a follow icon above his head. I was... Read More »

Trivia Night to help raise money for class of 2015′s graduation celebrations

Garrett McBay, Reporter
January 18, 2013
Filed under News

The Sophomore Trivia Night will be held on Jan. 26 to raise money to help fund the class of 2015’s Senior Celebration. Tickets cost $20 for adults and $10 for students and staff. The doors will open at 6 p.m. and the trivia, which will be announced by Nathan Willard, language arts teacher, will... Read More »

Out and About: Clancy’s Irish Pub at The Barn

Garrett McBay, Reporter
January 15, 2013
Filed under Features

For an inviting atmosphere and great tasting food, try Clancy’s at the Barn in Ballwin. With a varied menu and friendly service, it’s one of my favorite places to eat. Part of a small shopping center built out of an old barn, Clancy’s is a family owned pub and butchery that sells everything... Read More »